Great UI, very poor game play!

22/05/17 18:42
Very nice and intuitive UI, but what's the point?
You spend so much time adjusting various things to then see a handful of plays for no longer than 2 min, the majority of which is an indiscernible mess with possession apparently changing hands. When there's something that resembles a back play, 12 chooses to pass back to the mess instead of using the space.
This game is definitely not about rugby..
22/05/17 19:06
It's about management. The issue with your 12 can be fixed with strat. The great thing is the complexity of solving one problem can cause another, another person can make your adjustments not work, etc etc. There are fixes to all the problems but it is ever changing.
22/05/17 19:22
Black Monks :

It's about management. The issue with your 12 can be fixed with strat. The great thing is the complexity of solving one problem can cause another, another person can make your adjustments not work, etc etc. There are fixes to all the problems but it is ever changing.

Why should there be a problem in the first place? You put 15 random people who have never played rugby on the pitch and you won't see ridiculousness that you see here.. If you have 3 vs 1 on one side, you wouldn't just stop and throw a long (difficult?) pass back to where all the defenders are, would you? It just doesn't make sense..
There should be a way of writing a simple basic algorithm, but I don't think creators of RM bothered too much.
22/05/17 19:24
Monks is absolutely right. By getting strategies right, your team starts to play rugby in a fashion you choose. You can then be very successful, until people eejit their strats and start to beat you. At which point, you have to adjust again...
And that's where the gameplay is, working out how to make your team better and keeping it there.
22/05/17 19:32
gmoujik :

Black Monks :

Why should there be a problem in the first place? You put 15 random people who have never played rugby on the pitch and you won't see ridiculousness that you see here.. If you have 3 vs 1 on one side, you wouldn't just stop and throw a long (difficult?) pass back to where all the defenders are, would you? It just doesn't make sense..
There should be a way of writing a simple basic algorithm, but I don't think creators of RM bothered too much.

Instead they did complex algorithms that keep the game fresh instead of making it an easy game.
22/05/17 20:08
Waspy Tiger :

Monks is absolutely right. By getting strategies right, your team starts to play rugby in a fashion you choose. You can then be very successful, until people eejit their strats and start to beat you. At which point, you have to adjust again...
And that's where the gameplay is, working out how to make your team better and keeping it there.

Obviously, I don't have a lot of experience in the game, so these are just my first impressions.. And it's hard to know where I make my 12 run forward when there's no one in front of him, instead of passing back where the ball just came from after 1500 rucks, or make my 10 score when he's right on the try line alone instead of passing back to in front of all of the opposition..
Anyway, as I said any adjustments and fine tuning you make is nigh on impossible to see in 2 mins..
Why spend so much effort on the UI and the logics, which seem quite thought through btw, if the rugby part is so miniscule?
22/05/17 20:11
Good points, you are right. Time to hang up my boots. Thanks for bringing light to my world. Goodbye everyone, it was nice to get to know some of you.
22/05/17 21:33
gmoujik :

Waspy Tiger :

Obviously, I don't have a lot of experience in the game, so these are just my first impressions.. And it's hard to know where I make my 12 run forward when there's no one in front of him, instead of passing back where the ball just came from after 1500 rucks, or make my 10 score when he's right on the try line alone instead of passing back to in front of all of the opposition..
Anyway, as I said any adjustments and fine tuning you make is nigh on impossible to see in 2 mins..
Why spend so much effort on the UI and the logics, which seem quite thought through btw, if the rugby part is so miniscule?

The rugby part is far from miniscule, but the rest of the game is how you get the rugby part to be what you want - but the fun is working out how to do it, ideally with your mates in a guild. Play lots of friendlies to see the effects of changes, and you'll get the hang of it.
22/05/17 21:36
Waspy Tiger :

So that's the answer, get an eejit strategy. Why didn't I think of that?
22/05/17 22:03
You pulled me back from the brink Hutchie, I didn't notice the secret sauce. Now that I have An eejit strategy I am dominant. I never noticed the eejit strat button in my strat center, works like the easy button! Look out world black Monks is now the greatest RM player ever. All the mockery of how incompetent I am, all the statements confirming what my wife says about me, all the cruel words about my shoe size, I will never forget! I will now pwn you all! mwahahaha Mwahahaha MWAHAHAHA