British Lions vs NZ

11/07/17 20:30
But it was an All Black side that is two years off its peak. A team without a Carter or McCaw.

And the Lions could choose players from a team, England, that on current form, probably beats New Zealand 2-1 in a three test series at Twickenham. An Ireland team who had already beaten New Zealand and an English side unbeaten since the World Cup. Add the options of picking the individual exceptional players of Scotland and Wales, and we should of had an unbeaten Lions tour.

That we avoided humiliation is not cause to be happy in this scenario. Big questions need to be asked about the coaching team, squad selection and the future of the Lions. Should England be involved? And if they are, who will compensate the teams for players lost?
11/07/17 21:26
Tolgate Seconds :

But it was an All Black side that is two years off its peak. A team without a Carter or McCaw.

And the Lions could choose players from a team, England, that on current form, probably beats New Zealand 2-1 in a three test series at Twickenham. An Ireland team who had already beaten New Zealand and an English side unbeaten since the World Cup. Add the options of picking the individual exceptional players of Scotland and Wales, and we should of had an unbeaten Lions tour.

That we avoided humiliation is not cause to be happy in this scenario. Big questions need to be asked about the coaching team, squad selection and the future of the Lions. Should England be involved? And if they are, who will compensate the teams for players lost?

I guess our views on new Zealand rugby are just different. I feel the crusaders, hurricanes and maybe chiefs would be any European club and most international teams if they were to have their full squad. The all blacks are 2 years off their prime while still being in their prime while being two years from their prime. The ABs have 45 players who could have made the lions squad, the lions have 4 that could make the ABs?
11/07/17 23:49
The difference between NH and NZ is rugby is the sport that everyone wants to play in NZ and the South Sea Islands, so all the best athletes play rugby. In the NH football is the first choice followed by a number of different sports.

Interesting fact though England have 2,000,000 out of the 4,500,000 resistered players in the world. By comparison NZ have 157,000, Wales 50,000, Scotland 38,000 and Ireland 153,000.

What in effect this shows is that quantity does not equate to quality, and the smaller Nations are punching above their weight.
12/07/17 09:51
I like The Master's insightful analysis.
12/07/17 10:02
Tolgate Seconds :

I think that the Irish might disagree with the statement that England are unbeaten since the World Cup.
12/07/17 20:46
We are the Hutchie :

Tolgate Seconds :

I think that the Irish might disagree with the statement that England are unbeaten since the World Cup.

I see how could you have read it like that. I meant the Lions could rely on Irish players who have beaten both the world #1 team (New Zealand) and a team unbeaten since the World Cup, in England.
13/07/17 09:13
Tolgate Seconds :

We are the Hutchie :

Tolgate Seconds :

I see how could you have read it like that. I meant the Lions could rely on Irish players who have beaten both the world #1 team (New Zealand) and a team unbeaten since the World Cup, in England.

Sorry Tolgate Seconds, the meaning was quite clear when I read your post again. I nominate my reply for the "numpty of the day" award.
13/07/17 11:13
The Lions are a team in transition too, Gareth Edwards, Barry John, Willie John, Gavin Hastings and Martin Johnson have recently retired.
13/07/17 13:39
We are the Hutchie :

Tolgate Seconds :

We are the Hutchie :

Tolgate Seconds :

Sorry Tolgate Seconds, the meaning was quite clear when I read your post again. I nominate my reply for the "numpty of the day" award.

I read it the same way hutchie, and now I read it as typed. Amazing how easy it is to misunderstand meaning in text.