Players out of position

27/04/16 13:11
I've been thinking hard about this, and what I would personally like to see is that max stats for each skill vary by position - so for example if your normal max points level is 100, a forward could go to 110 on scrum-related stats, but only 95 on speed and 80 on kicking, say, whereas a fly half could be 105 on kicking and speed, but 70 on scrummaging, say. That way people can train players to do a reasonable job out of position, but never reach the heights. However, I would only do that from age 21 - before that, it should be possible to train a player as you wish, and change their position. Then you have realism and flexibility. However, it's probably quite a big change, especially the age thing, and it's hard to buy those young players anyway.

For the record, I do try to play people in position whenever I can. I currently have a front row made up entirely of hookers, and a winger playing at centre - I've seen both of these happen in real life. Everyone else is playing in position. I have just released the flanker I've had at scrum half for the last 5 seasons. For some time, I did have a team that was all 8s and 15s except for the 10, but that's actually not all that impossible - just unlikely.

And ok, it's Under 14 level, but on Saturday I watched a touring team play at our festival with forwards and backs swapped. They also borrowed my son, who normally plays prop or 8, and put him on the wing. They absolutely tonked the opposition, who were a very good side. I've played my son in both half back positions before now - what he lacks in speed, he makes up in vision. As a coach in a pilot area, I've been heavily involved in the work the RFU has done to change the way the mini and junior game is played in England, and that's given me a lot of insight into not pigeonholing players based on what we think they look like, and we've trained our entire team in playing front row. So I actually have probably a better idea than most as to how practical it is to train people up for different positions, and it's somewhat easier than most think - you just need someone willing to learn.
27/04/16 17:07
A very interesting take and the thinking of maxing players on the position is a very good idea i to dont have a problem playing a player out of position when its needed my wing currently is one of my top players and I to play him at flyhalf or as the kiwi would say first 5/8 but that is purely out of a strategy view point if I can see the opposition fly lack in speed. Players are adaptable that is true especially at a young age but its the odd player in pro Rugby that makes a succesfull switch in the pro era Pier Spies for example played Wing when he started to play pro rugby later went on to become a awesome 8 but nobody can say that its a day to day thing happening where a whole team play with 15 lomu's in one team
27/04/16 17:56
Sam Burgess absolutely nailed it as both a flanker and a centre. End of conversation?
27/04/16 21:38
Justin tipuric - yes I am a biased Welshman, but he wouldn't be out of place in the centre
03/05/16 01:16
Taff - British Lions :

Justin tipuric - yes I am a biased Welshman, but he wouldn't be out of place in the centre

can we look at real team and see how they do it lol ..

you would never see dan carter playing anything more than 1st 5 and 2 five .. might be half back at a stretch but you wouldnt put him center or wing or any forward..... we can all find a exception to the rule but the normal is. not all men can play all spots.. but i do like waspy tigers idea that a prop can have more scrum stats than a half back . and from there you can play them anywhere.. that way theres a cost playing ppl out of postions
03/05/16 01:20
and yes lomu did used to play no 8 at school and wing for all blacks . but if we are honest about him . you will see his def and turning for a kick was crap ..so he had his down falls .. we even lost a test to france because of his crap def ... not sure he would make the black team now. if you cant defend you cant make the black shirt ....... 1 world cup we never won does not make a god
03/05/16 06:24
Ashley Whitehead :

I agree with killer kiwi the fact you are only one lvl above me a deem it impossible or extremely unlikely to get players in said set position is poor management on urban part. I have a 2 complete teams all playing in the said position and all with 150%-199% training.
But I agree that there should be a slight reduction of skill for playing a player out of colour code.

not necesarlly...in real life i`m a rugby trainer and from experience i can tell you that a nr 15 can be a very good 12-13 or a very good 10.but you`ll never see a nr 2 beeing a very good 11-14.it takes different phisics characteristics and years of training.So,yes,i agree that there should be a limit in which positions players can be distributed.Or you can take them at 18 and specialize them on which post you want
03/05/16 10:09
Silviu Stanciulescu :

"Ashley Whitehead" :

I agree with killer kiwi the fact you are only one lvl above me a deem it impossible or extremely unlikely to get players in said set position is poor management on urban part. I have a 2 complete teams all playing in the said position and all with 150%-199% training.
But I agree that there should be a slight reduction of skill for playing a player out of colour code.

not necesarlly...in real life i`m a rugby trainer and from experience i can tell you that a nr 15 can be a very good 12-13 or a very good 10.but you`ll never see a nr 2 beeing a very good 11-14.it takes different phisics characteristics and years of training.So,yes,i agree that there should be a limit in which positions players can be distributed.Or you can take them at 18 and specialize them on which post you want

even at 18 . there rugby life and places is all ready picked
04/05/16 08:32
killerkiwis :

"Silviu Stanciulescu" :

[quote=""Ashley Whitehead""]

even at 18 . there rugby life and places is all ready picked [/quote]

i mean in the game at 18...in real life 18 is already late,yes