New Patch 7.0 is a Mess

28/08/18 02:54
I don t agree. Doing well with change doesn’t mean being happy with whatever you get...
You can assume somebody is not doing well with change if you give him a better product/process/game/etc. but the person is complaining about it.
If you get a new version of a product/game, and don t like most of the upgrade because of bugs, it has nothing to do with doing well (or not) with change. DHSFP mentioned you the issues he has since the upgrade, which give him a bad user experience.

PS: if you have ever been involved in a digital project with front end/back end developers, you should know such testing doesn t take one month... (This whole upgrade took less than a month to code/test...)

28/08/18 04:59
You fail to see all of their testing if you think the timeline you state is accurate.
28/08/18 08:34
One advice: do never help a company on a Digital project... You would kill their budget if you would be willing to pay developers for a month just to test such upgrades... I think you don t know what a developer can do in few hours..
- modify the existing code to say “from level 50, MB = 0%”. (they didn t spend even one second on the design as the slider remained) -> This takes ~2-3 hours of coding max
- modify the existing code to say: “gc preparation time is 12 hours” (instead of 24 hours) // No designing involved -> This takes ~2-3 hours of coding
- New matching system: removing the one based on # of fans and implementation of the new one with 3 pts per win / 1 per draw -> If well done, this can take 1-2 days max (they probably needed to create a new table on the back end to save the scoring and defining the rule)..
- modify the existing code to add 20% additional gears in the sport shop -> ~2 hours of coding
- Modifying the lineouts -> Probably ~2 day(s) of coding / designing (adding the line in the strategy center) / defining the positioning on the players who are not in the lineout..
- submitting the upgrades (Appstore etc)
- Testing time for all of the above ~1-2 days max.

And just FYI, you usually use 3 platforms:
- One dedicated for coding... the developer use it to code all new upgrades, then he pushes the code to the testing environment
- Testing environment: usually few users test the upgrades there and provide feedbacks. Once validated they push the code to the Live platform
- Live Platform

So, to answer your comment... yes I definitely fail to see their “one month testing”..
And they should never ever spend a month (of their time) on “testing” such upgrades.
28/08/18 11:04
KOTJ :

One advice: do never help a company on a Digital project... You would kill their budget if you would be willing to pay developers for a month just to test such upgrades... I think you don t know what a developer can do in few hours..
- modify the existing code to say “from level 50, MB = 0%”. (they didn t spend even one second on the design as the slider remained) -> This takes ~2-3 hours of coding max
- modify the existing code to say: “gc preparation time is 12 hours” (instead of 24 hours) // No designing involved -> This takes ~2-3 hours of coding
- New matching system: removing the one based on # of fans and implementation of the new one with 3 pts per win / 1 per draw -> If well done, this can take 1-2 days max (they probably needed to create a new table on the back end to save the scoring and defining the rule)..
- modify the existing code to add 20% additional gears in the sport shop -> ~2 hours of coding
- Modifying the lineouts -> Probably ~2 day(s) of coding / designing (adding the line in the strategy center) / defining the positioning on the players who are not in the lineout..

- One dedicated for coding... the developer use it to code all new upgrades, then he pushes the code to the testing environment
- Testing environment: usually few users test the upgrades there and provide feedbacks. Once validated they push the code to the Live platform
- Live Platform

So, to answer your comment... yes I definitely fail to see their “one month testing”..
And they should never ever spend a month (of their time) on “testing” such upgrades.

+1

As KotJ mentioned, any game worth it's salt does it's testing of proposed updates on a "test server" away from a live environment and invites players of different levels and abilities to help with the testing and can therefore more easily identify and correct any "bugs" or "glitches" before going "live". Doing it ad-hoc as has been done in this instance will just take them so much longer to fix.
28/08/18 13:46
KOTJ :

- Live Platform

They have a team of one. You are wanting an to operate as a fortune 500 company. Oh, and of course, not reading your full statement as I can tell it rambles without reading.
28/08/18 13:48
But hey, you all know a profound amount about game develop, software and I'm sure you are proficient in game psychology. I'm looking forward to your game that blows this one out of the water, won't be hard to do obviously. And you should have it out in a week? Or do you need three weeks?
28/08/18 14:26
Oh guess what? My "Moan" or as I prefer to call it, my reporting a problem to support has now been fixed. How long would it have taken had someone not logged a ticket? You are just a keyboard warrior/Troll Monks. I ignore the majority of the inane rubbish you post.
28/08/18 14:38
Again your logic doesn t make any sense.
It just highlights that you don t know what you are talking about..

But actually yes I know about game dev. and digital transformation projects. I have led various digital teams ranging from 1-2 developers to 20+ developers/designers/IT architects in developing innovative softwares and even a game once. (And breaking news, I am not a developer).
So I can exactly tell you what is the cost of a developer and what he can do in one day.

And just for your information, building a game from scratch and doing a small upgrade are not exactly the same things...

So, how smart does your comment look like?
But hey, at least you show you have no clue what you are talking about.. but still you try to be the smartest..
If testing this small upgrade took them a month, I assume developing the first version of the game took them 10 yrs..

PS: Thanks again.. your comments really make me laugh..
28/08/18 14:51
We are almost on the same page here KOTJ. 25+ years in I.T. and I actually do not find Black Monks' comments from a position of complete ignorance of the industry as being funny but rather sad and at best misinformed.
28/08/18 16:14
Then show your talent, make a better game. You have outlined a perfect, flawless program and you obviously have the abilities. Make some money!