No Mark Function Spoils Game

04/05/18 17:27
As there is no mark function in the game, it is spoiled by players being allowed to kick constantly into the defending teams 22. There is no point, with no mark rule, in being able to set rear cover in strats if there is no mark to be called. Similarly on individual player defensive skills, with no mark available, isn't it pointless having kick reception range and kick reception variables when (usually) the full back has no mark to call?

04/05/18 17:52
Would you want a player to be able to chose to mark or would it be a strategy of being a no mark strat inside 22, inside 10, inside 5 etc?
04/05/18 17:53
But I do like the idea of being able to mark, might be complex.
04/05/18 18:06
Black Monks :

Would you want a player to be able to chose to mark or would it be a strategy of being a no mark strat inside 22, inside 10, inside 5 etc?

Just like the real game there would be no mark outside the 22. I then think you make it a team strategy heading with a 0-100 No Mark slider. If you want lots of marks you set 100, but if you think no mark is a good idea then you set the no mark slider to 0.
05/05/18 00:23
So a no mark is 0 and a mark is 100, would a 50 mark be a no mark half the time and a mark half the time or would it be a no mark close to the 22 and the closer you get to the try line the more likely they are to mark? And are individual players able to be more likely to no mark than others? My forwards can't kick.
05/05/18 16:55
Black Monks :

So a no mark is 0 and a mark is 100, would a 50 mark be a no mark half the time and a mark half the time or would it be a no mark close to the 22 and the closer you get to the try line the more likely they are to mark? And are individual players able to be more likely to no mark than others? My forwards can't kick.

The no mark position is simpler than that, as there is no mark available outside the 22 anyway. You can then set up strats which have mark's or no mark. You use no mark if you want to counter, but if you think you are weak in defence or ruck then no mark probably not right so you don't use no mark, but mark and kick for touch. No mark settings would give a dynamic boost to the game.
05/05/18 19:24
Do you actually see that very often in the game?
Most of the time, I see chase kicks where my opponent kicks the ball to my 22s, and tries to outrun my backs after the ball hits the ground...
but my backs are not very often in a position to catch the high ball..
So I am not sure it would really prevent players from kicking constantly. (but it would certainly give a more realistic aspect).

The positioning of the fullback should really be improved in the game tough..
06/05/18 00:56
^That went over your head didn't it KOTJ? Lollers
06/05/18 01:12
Very smart comment Bluemooners, very smart.
Exactly the type of post I would expect from you.
06/05/18 11:18
King of the Jungle. :

Do you actually see that very often in the game?
Most of the time, I see chase kicks where my opponent kicks the ball to my 22s, and tries to outrun my backs after the ball hits the ground...
but my backs are not very often in a position to catch the high ball..
So I am not sure it would really prevent players from kicking constantly. (but it would certainly give a more realistic aspect).

The positioning of the fullback should really be improved in the game tough..

The whole no mark argument ties in with the game generally - strats which use forwards / threequarter settings differently, or rear cover, or defense speed all likely to be influenced by no mark or not influenced by no mark. Perhaps with the no mark changes I am suggesting there could be another slider for full back depth - that, with attack settings could not only assist the no mark rule anomaly but bring more attack by getting full back to run from peril. The no mark position needs addressing.