Champ level gain

One of our guild mates has a level 1 team and something weird is going on in his champ series. He only has the option of moving up 1 level from winning his series, just like the highest levels; the top 9 move up 1. Is this some form of glitch or was it planned for some to have a different set of rules? Its the first time I have seen this, though of course I do not pay attention to everyone and it may be more common than I know. Coalition of Conquerors, CantWait is the team.
This seems to be a bug as I haven't seen this before. I suggest log a support ticket before the season ends. When you get a reply please post it here so I know for future reference
I do have a guess: Maybe he joined late in the season?
qBaLL the Horrible :

This seems to be a bug as I haven't seen this before. I suggest log a support ticket before the season ends. When you get a reply please post it here so I know for future reference

CW received news that he would be promoted to level 3 but he would have to wait (unspecified time-frame). Well, he just got promoted to level 3 and has his schedule. So it looks like it worked out. And on time.
Great news thanks Judd, I suspected it was a bug.