Miracle Players?

I have what I would call a decent strategy - I've beaten a fair number of teams with more stars than mine. So I was quite surprised when my 24* team was beaten by a 9* team.

I figured they must have used mb, so I played a friendly. I won, but on by 3 points. Now I know you're thinking it must be strategy, right?

But...

How do you put it down to strategy, when his 9* players with speed points of 15 are out sprinting my players who have speed points of 35+ ? In fact, all of his players ran faster than mine, though my players all have higher stats.

Take into account that his team had only 67% morale while mine has 100%, my team was on full energy and playing with a high rythym setting.

A good defensive strategy or something, I could understand. But out sprinting my players in the above circumstances? What do you put that down to?
Could be attack and defense speed settings or individual strategy settings
Might be right Coach... just surprising if such a strategy setting can give players that much of a boost.
Strategy building more developed possibly and I agree with Q ball depends on how you train I suppose