How to minimise a buttkicking?

04/03/18 17:52
So we're playing some friendlies amongst ourselves in the guild with some handicap scoring. I'm not sure it's sgood idea because the difference between some of the teams is very large. It seems to encourage bad strategies. THe high level teams need lots of points so they run everything. The low level teams need to stop lots of points so they try and kick the ball as far down field as practical.
This defensive strategy seems limited. How can you limit the number of points a high level opponent scores against you when you can't win a ruck, lineout or maul, can't tackle, and even sometimes with rear cover at maximum they can kick through, and beat your player to the ball? Just bend over?
04/03/18 18:55
Unless a person that is high level has a poor strat there is only so much you can do. At the top level a jump of 2 levels is tough (barring a tired opponent or an opponent that lives on mb and doesn't have a non mb strat or they only have a high rhythm online strat and you catch them offline). The lower you go the more levels you can usually jump but that is largely due to opponents that don't know the game as well yet. You can always go super high rhythm and speeds but you will tire quickly and give more penalties. So it's tough to do what you are trying without encouraging bad strats, but if everyone knows that going in and they are just learning about the game with the friendlies there is huge benefit.
05/03/18 10:31
A defensive strategy that I find somewhat effective in these situations is very high rhythm, high passing mixed in with some kicking. They can't score if they don't have the ball and they can't dispossess you if you pass before they tackle you.

Agree with what Black Monks is saying in general. I am, however, now getting within 4 scores of Black Monks in friendlies (with him offline) and am confident I can cut that to 3 scores in the very near future. Played a few friendlies yesterday and today. He is almost 20 levels above me, so that's a clear win to me with handicap. Live games with subbing is a completely different ball game but again, if you can hold onto the ball a bit and eat up the clock then that's one way to go. Timing and selection of your subs is going to help to a degree too.

One way to cut the discrepancy down is to propose to the guild that they split the inhouse into divisions based on level. (You can always add plays offs too maybe - the winners of each of the divisions go into the knock out stages or something). That way you are not playing people more than about 5 to 10 levels above. In that case, there really are things you can do to stay in/win the game. Another alternative is to propose a rule change whereby if a team is 15 or more levels above you, they are not allowed to sub and you are effectively playing their offline strat. You can sometimes do some real damage in the final quarter that way and that can make a big difference. It's also great training for both teams for Guild Challenges - one defending, one trying to take out a big target.
05/03/18 10:48
Guest G8SUU3 :

...and am confident I can cut that to 3 scores in the very near future.

3 scores achieved! I very nearly held out for 2 scores too Chuffed with that.
05/03/18 12:00
You also have to remember that one change in strat on my part throws it all off again. Spacing in those matchups is critical and a minor change has major impact with that difference
05/03/18 12:37
Black Monks :

You also have to remember that one change in strat on my part throws it all off again. Spacing in those matchups is critical and a minor change has major impact with that difference

Absolutely. I tried 3 different strats on you until I could find one to contain you to a small degree, plus you were 85% energy so there's that...

The point re: spacing is very well made, it's not a bad idea to adjust these in-game even.

I'm just chuffed I could get vaguely close to you. Online, I reckon I'd really struggle to keep you within 57, which is what would be required for a handicap win (3 points per level).

I see we both have a tournament game at similar times tonight - within 10 minutes of each other. If you fancied a quick online to see how much you can smash me by, I'd be up for it. Gimme say 5 minutes or so after the end of mine to put subs back and heal? You kick off?

(Handle: Wales. Guild: The Exiles).
05/03/18 14:25
You can play me all you want, I don't really do friendlies and I'm online when I'm online. Haven't changed my strat in 3-6 months now so you can really fine tune on me, the strat still seems to work decently though. Somehow top of my table with no subs and no mb and no strat change
06/03/18 09:08
Black Monks :

You can play me all you want, I don't really do friendlies and I'm online when I'm online. Haven't changed my strat in 3-6 months now so you can really fine tune on me, the strat still seems to work decently though. Somehow top of my table with no subs and no mb and no strat change

I saw that. Bravo! It's an extremely solid offline strat, I have to admit. Tough rucking, decent set piece and good balance between kicking and attacking. Nice stuff. I'll try crack it in the next few levels. Watch this space...
05/04/18 09:44
Black Monks :

You're probably top because everybody else is throwing their league games..
05/04/18 12:01
Guest GFMN6M :

Black Monks :

You're probably top because everybody else is throwing their league games..

Only you throw league games except to friends, which as you have seen is full controversy. Also, if everyone is throwing games to not advance, wouldn't that cripple your plan as well by having everyone increasing training? And check my tourney record, consistent with champ. Don't just spew junk without at least some thought, you put a lot of effort into finding a post you thought helped you, put a little thought into an actual thought that will help you.