Unable to allocate training points

I purchased a player through the one time offer ad and he has a 155 rating. He has now accumulated 40+ training points but I can't use them on him.Why not?if as I suspect he is maxed out, why can't I use the points around the team? It would make sense as his expertise is rubbing off on the other players around him as in real life.
If you get promoted your max player limit will rise and you'll be able to use your training points then.
Thank you for the information. I am currently " building" as I have come as far as I can without maxing out buildings, stadium etc. As for three strategy centres how ridiculous! ( Don't get me on that one, it's as false as the Match bonus I think). I will be a few seasons without promotion now as I rebuild, I should have a Jonny Wilkinson/Dan Carter superman by the time I get promoted lol.
Once again thanks for the info.
You can build and get promotions too. Promotions give you money, they don't cost you money.
Thanks for that message but I know that. I am on level 24 but to test myself have only been running with one strategy centre and keeping within a tight budget in order to see where it takes me! I now know that I must have more strategy centres as I am losing to guys with three centres by a few points here and there. It's good fun but I think I have hit a brick wall and need to increase my stadium in order to get at least another strategy centre so I can move on!
Once again thanks for the info.