A gvg match-up to prove what a joke the ranking system is

23/07/17 17:17
Allan Thomson :

Rank by number of challenge wins anyone?

Strong players form new guilds quite often so that would equate to more uneven playing fields.
IMO player championship level probably makes it the most equal playing ground (all be it still not percect)
23/07/17 17:19
Allan Thomson :

Indeed it is utter nonsense. We played a Guild ranked 80th not too long ago and ended up milking them for the Gate Money. Currently milking another one that is higher rated than us.

Rank by number of challenge wins anyone?

I'd say a combination of gvg win percentage, average level each of the guild members is playing at and maybe one or two other factors. Black Monks BMRS would be worth looking at.
23/07/17 17:31
Couple of problems I have with the BMRS method of matching up GvG is that it's based on players that are trying to get up in the rankings, there are players ranked in the thousands that can beat top players. Second problem is that players can manipulate the system, drop in ranking, get weaker opponents and win some RP.

Not that I'm saying its a bad system, in a perfect world where everybody had the time and the drive to go for rankings it would work well.
23/07/17 17:31
Bluemooners :
Black Monks BMRS would be worth looking at.

Anything has to be better than the current system
23/07/17 20:18
Coach Fluffy Pink Ball :

Couple of problems I have with the BMRS method of matching up GvG is that it's based on players that are trying to get up in the rankings, there are players ranked in the thousands that can beat top players. Second problem is that players can manipulate the system, drop in ranking, get weaker opponents and win some RP.

Not that I'm saying its a bad system, in a perfect world where everybody had the time and the drive to go for rankings it would work well.

people drop due to fans, if fans don't matter they would drop because they aren't good or because they are cowards. If sweet nitro wanted they could rank all 25 players according to their rank (not just the top 100 which is the biggest limitation of the BMRS). And if sweet nitro really wanted to make the rankings accurate and matter they would make high ranking matches worth more cash than low. Then nobody would have an excuse and top ranked guilds would genuinely be the best instead of the mockery of a rating system our game has now. It would be like saying Munster has the best rugby team in the world because they have the most fans. While I think munster and their supporters deserve huge credit for their fan base, I don't think many would suggest they are the best team in the world.
23/07/17 20:36
In my world, Sunday nights are very like Friday nights, so my befuddled brain may not be working very well. What if sweet nitro just changed the name from Top Guild to Guild With Most Fans?
Don't GvG matches sort out the relative "strength" of Guilds? Not everyone will be as strong as you BM (both of you), and not every Guild will get close to Hellfire in GvG wins. But the game can be played in any different ways and who is to say that maxing out your fans is wrong?
23/07/17 20:43
They do it based on relative fanbase. Confirmed multiple times. Not strength
23/07/17 20:43
And for the record, I'm not that good
23/07/17 23:43
Black Monks :

They do it based on relative fanbase. Confirmed multiple times. Not strength

You're right, this has been confirmed multiple times. Although that's a complete load of codswollop. We at Hellfire with 4.6m fans, have just been matched up with some no-mark French guild with 2.7m fans. How on earth this is a fair match up I have no idea.
24/07/17 02:52
Yeah, this matchup makes no sense according to everything we have been told. However I do find it a little hilarious since they have 4 players with crazy low fan numbers. I may be wrong but it looks like they took them on in order to get matched with weaker guilds. When cowardice, which is what it would be if my theory is correct only (fully acknowledge I could be wrong), gets punished I'm a happy man!